JR and Becca Gonzales
Growth: "Where are we now? Where are we going? What is our vision?"
Updated: Jan 29
“I tell couples all the time that they have to have a vision for their marriage. If God has a purpose for your marriage—and I believe He does—then vision is letting God reveal to you what that purpose is. It’s asking, “God, why did you put us together?” and listening for the answer.” -Jimmy Evans
We encourage you to set aside time, whether it’s a weekend getaway or a few nights out (without kids) to seek the Lord together in prayer and in the Scriptures. Earnestly ask Him to impart HIS vision on behalf of your marriage and family (His will for you). The idea is to create a vision so that you have purpose and a more meaningful mission in marriage. Vision is vital for the health of your marriage. Identify any current stumbling blocks, come into agreement with the Lord and with each other, and work toward a unified vision for your marriage and family. Knowing God's design and purpose for your marriage will help you stay focused as a team and fulfill the Great Commission together! Remember, His will for your marriage and family is far greater than the burdens that seek to threaten your marital union.
Before you begin to create a vision for your marriage, start by lovingly discussing these series of questions together prayerfully, openly, honestly, and respectfully:
1. Seek the Lord and ask the Holy Spirit why He brought the two of you together?
2. Discuss where you right now? And where do you want to be? Ask the Lord how each of you are limiting the work of His Spirit in your life and marriage?
3. Prayerfully discuss Proverbs 29:18 together, “Where there is no vision, the people perish…” What is the Holy Spirit saying to each of you in this passage and why would this be important in the context of your marriage?
4. What is the Holy Spirit saying to each of you in Amos 3:3, “Can two walk together, except they be agreed?” Are you willing to set aside your agenda and plans to make room for the Lord and His plans for your marriage and family? Inviting the Holy Spirit into your relationship challenges, coming into agreement and alignment with His ways and thoughts, which are far higher and better?
5. How are you going to CHOOSE to invite the work of Holy Spirit in your life, so that you are empowered to move from where you are now and into all the abundance that God has planned for your marriage?
Creating a vision for your marriage:
Start by praying Romans 12:1-2 out loud together:
“Therefore I urge you, brothers and sisters, by the mercies of God, to present your bodies [dedicating all of yourselves, set apart] as a living sacrifice, holy and well-pleasing to God, which is your rational (logical, intelligent) act of worship. And do not be conformed to this world [any longer with its superficial values and customs], but be transformed and progressively changed [as you mature spiritually] by the renewing of your mind [focusing on godly values and ethical attitudes], so that you may prove [for yourselves] what the will of God is, that which is good and acceptable and perfect [in His plan and purpose for you].”
Read together: https://marriagetoday.com/marriagehelp/the-power-of-vision-for-marriage/
Then, together, write out the vision God has given you for your marriage. Take your time to listen to the Holy Spirit, pray together, communicate, talk respectfully, and sit in God’s presence until you hear His voice, His wisdom, and His direction. Once you have written out your vision, discuss ways each of you can actively pursue the vision God has given you. It may help to put your vision somewhere that you can refer to it often.
All For His Glory,
-JR and Becca Gonzales